Whether you're serving 2 people or a crowd, it can't get easier than this make-ahead vegetable and bacon egg bake skillet! 15 minutes of prep time tops!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded potatoes, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3/4 cup finely sliced or shredded carrots (preferable a mix or orange, white and purple carrots)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced or finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 4-6 bacon strips, cooked and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Grease a 10" cast iron skillet or a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine the potatoes, peas, carrots, zucchini, green onions, garlic, bacon and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Arrange the mixture in the prepared skillet or baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the evaporated milk, pepper, and salt. Stir in the remaining cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or bake immediately.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.