Fried Coconut Crepes with Chicken Filling- Chicken Crepes
1 hour 5 mins
Recipe type: Appetiser
Serves: 10 Fried Crepes
For cooking chicken
- Chicken breasts, diced small- 2 (or boneless chicken pieces)
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- ¾ tsp
- Salt- a few pinches
For making Chicken filling
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped small- 4
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Egg, beaten- 1 (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Salt- to taste
For making coconut batter
- All purpose flour- 1½ cups
- Egg- 1
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Water- ¾ cup
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- a few pinches
For making flour glue
- All purpose flour- 2 tbsp
- Water- 1½ tbsp
- Oil- enough for deep frying
- In a saucepan, combine diced chicken with turmeric powder, chili powder, fennel powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt.
- Cover the pan with its lid and cook over medium heat till the water that oozed out of the chicken has dried up.
- Combine well, using the back of a wooden spoon slightly mash the chicken, cook for a few more minutes till chicken turns golden brown in color.
- Keep aside the cooked chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, you could start cooking the onions for making the filling.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion, season with salt and cook till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, combine well and cook till onions turns golden in color.
- Add the cooked chicken to the onions, combine well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- If you are adding egg- first push the chicken and onions to one side of the pan, add the beaten egg to the other side of the pan and scramble it. Combine with the chicken and onions.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Add cilantro and combine well.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep the chicken filling aside.
Making Coconut Crepes
- Into a blender, add all purpose flour, egg, coconut milk, water, turmeric powder and salt, blend together to a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a large bowl. The batter should have a medium constituency- Not too watery not too thick.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat. Let the pan turn hot.
- Grease the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Note: Before you pour the batter onto the pan, remove the pan from the heat and then pour the batter and spread it. If you pour the batter and spread it when the pan is placed over the heat, the batter will break apart.
- Pour 2 large spoonfuls of batter on the pan, spread the batter using the back of the spoon to a round shape.
- Let the bottom side cook, flip it over and cook the other side till light golden spots appear.
- Transfer the coconut crepe to a plate.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
How to stuff the crepes with chicken filling
- Making flour glue- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoon flour with 1½ tbsp water to a smooth paste.
- Place 2 spoonfuls of chicken filling on the middle of the crepe. Fold one side of the crepe over the chicken filling, spread some flour glue over the top of the crepe and fold the other side over it and glue the sides. This will make a rectangle shape.
- Now, fold the other sides and make into a square shape. Glue the sides with flour glue. Make sure the sides are glued well.
- Heat enough oil for frying in a frying pan. Let the oil turn hot.
- Place the crepe with chicken filling into the oil and deep fry till both sides turn golden brown in color.
- Transfer to a kitchen paper towel and let cool down a bit.
- Serve when it's warm and enjoy this delicious snack.
- Skip frying and enjoy as a wrap. Stuff the coconut crepe with the chicken filling, fold the crepes and enjoy it. Tastes really good this way too.