Monte Cristo Crepes
1 hour 20 mins
These Monte Cristo Crepes are sweet and savory and perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner! Tender crepes are filled with cheese, ham and turkey and topped with raspberry jam and powdered sugar.
Serves: 6 servings, 2 crepes each
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 12 slices deli-sliced ham (about 8 oz)
- 12 slices deli-sliced turkey (about 8 oz)
- 12 slices Swiss or Muenster cheese (about 4 oz)
- ¼ cup raspberry jam
- powdered sugar
- In a blender, combine the milk, water, and eggs. Pulse to combine. Add in the flour and salt and pour the butter on top. Pulse again until all of the ingredients are combined and the batter is smooth. Cover the batter and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- To make the crepes, very lightly butter a large skillet (I use an 8-inch nonstick skillet) and place over medium low heat. Once hot, add about ¼ cup of batter to the skillet and using your wrist, tilt the pan around to spread the batter, forming an even, thin crepe. Let the batter cook for a minute or two, then loosen the sides with a rubber spatula and flip the crepe over. Cook the second side for another minute or two, then remove to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, only buttering the pan if the batter starts to stick. (I usually only butter it once in the beginning - sometimes I need to again halfway through, but not usually.)
- Place 1 slice of cheese, 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of turkey on each crepe. If desired, microwave for a few seconds to slightly melt the cheese. Roll the crepes with the filling on the inside.
- Serve the filled crepes sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with raspberry jam.
Inspired by Food Network Magazine October 2015