Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Chicken Sausage Pasta
1 pound short pasta, I used Radiatori but penne or rigatoni would be great
2 16 ounce jars roasted red bell peppers, or 4 whole roasted red bell peppers
2 cups whipping cream
Extra virgin olive oil
1 13 ounce pack chicken and apple sausages, about 5 sausages, sliced into coins. I use Aidell’s Chicken and Apple Sausage
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons fresh basil, slivered
- Cook pasta in a large pot of water seasoned with kosher salt until al dente, about 7-8 minutes. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, slice the roasted red bell peppers into thin slices. Add to a medium size pot with the whipping cream and bring to a boil. Reduce to a bubbling simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausages in a large pan with a circle or two of extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat for about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan, wipe it clean with a paper towel and return the sausage to the pan to rest.
- When the cream has reduced, remove ¼ of the peppers and set aside. Blend the remaining peppers and the cream with a hand immersion blender and then pour into the pot with the sausages. Add the additional peppers and pasta and cook over medium heat for another 2-3 minutes or until everything is warmed through.
- Garnish with basil leaves and grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.