Turkey Mushroom Cranberry Risotto
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Use a large enough skillet or braiser to hold this one-pot meal. Use leftover turkey or chicken. Freeze the leftovers, reheating with a small amount of stock to add moisture to the dish.
6 cups chicken broth + 1 cup
4 Tbsp. oil
24 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cups turkey meat, cooked and chopped
1 shallot, sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups arborio risotto rice (I used DeLallo’s 17.6 oz. package)
1/2 cup white wine
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. thyme, chopped
1 cup dried cranberries (I used Trader Joe’s orange cranberries)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. of oil on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and lightly salt, cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add the chopped turkey meat, stirring to heat through for 1-2 minutes. Remove the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the cranberries to 1 cup of boiling water. Allow to plump, or sit for 2-3 minutes; drain.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil and add the shallot and garlic, and another pinch of salt, stirring and cooking for about 2 minutes. Add the rice, stirring constantly, and slowly pour in the wine. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the 6 cups of broth, 2 ladlefuls at a time, until the rice is absorbed into the mixture. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Turn the heat down to low.
- Add in the butter, turkey mixture, Parmesan cheese, cranberries, and fresh thyme, mixing it all together and cooking for an additional 2 minutes. If needed, add one more cup of stock for moisture.
- Garnish with fresh thyme; serve immediately.