Portobello Mushroom And Kale Turkey Burgers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white or sweet onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 large baby bella mushrooms
- 2 packed cups of washed, stemmed and chopped curly kale
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chimichurri sauce (or sub olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Assembly
- Kale and Cabbage Slaw (recipe follows)
- Buns of choice, avocado, mayo and/or additional chimichurri sauce
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions and garlic. Saute until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute until softened, then add the kale, stir a few times and cover the pan. Cook down until the kale is softened and has reached a deep green color. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- When the mushroom/kale mixture has cooled, combine it with the turkey meat, oregano, chimicurri, and salt and stir vigorously to combine. You can also use your hands if it's easier.
- Heat remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Portion the burgers into small patties (mine were about 3-4 Tbsp worth of the turkey mixture) and fry until crispy and browned on the bottom, about 2-4 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. They are done when the burgers feel firm when pressed and the juice that runs out is clear.
- To assemble: Either coat the buns with mayo and chimichurri sauce and build the burger + slaw + avocado on top, or for a paleo option, serve the burger (topped with mayo mixed with chimichurri, or just additional chimichurri) on top of the bed of slaw and garnish with avocado slices.
- The original recipe actually calls for the sauteed mushrooms and kale being used as a burger topping, rather than cooked into the burgers, with the slaw as a separate recipe. So feel free to go that route.
- This recipe has been slightly adapted from Let Them Eat Kale and has been reprinted with permission from the author.
Cabbage Kale Slaw
- 1 small head red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin matchstick shapes
- 1 head kale (I used curly, but the original recipe suggests dino), washed, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots and kale together to combine.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients (oil, lime juice and zest, garlic and salt) in a separate bowl, then pour over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- The slaw recipes makes many extra servings; feel free to halve it if you don't want lots of leftovers. But it keeps very well, especially if you don't toss it with the dressing until you're ready to eat it, for several days.