Portobello Mushroom Philly Cheesesteak
Yield: 6 Sandwiches | Serving Size: 1 Sandwich | Calories: 199 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates 30 g | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 5 g | Protein: 7 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 402 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms , stems removed, and sliced into strips (Portobella mushrooms work great!)
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced thing
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 6 whole wheat crusty sub buns
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, parsley, broth, salt, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook until the spinach is wilted and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce (if using) and the soy sauce.
- Create a pocket in the buns and spoon the hot filling inside. Serve hot and enjoy!