The Ultimate Hawaiian Grilled Cheese
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch planks
- Kosher salt
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 pound prosciutto di Parma
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Marinara or arrabiata sauce for dipping
- Start with the pineapple. Peel and core the pineapple (you can usually find peeled, cored pineapple at the market to make things easier), and cut ½ of the pineapple into planks about ½ inch thick. Season each plank with a little kosher salt.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the pineapple and cook for about 3 minutes on each side until sexy grill marks appear and the fruit is lightly caramelized. Briefly set aside.
- Now it’s time to assemble the grilled cheese. To assemble each sandwich: Butter one side of each piece of bread with ½ tablespoon softened butter and place the bread butter-side down on a cutting board. Top one piece of bread with about ¼ cup cheese and add a layer of prosciutto. Sprinkle another 2 tablespoons of cheese on the prosciutto and add half of the grilled pineapple and half of the basil. Sprinkle with another 2 tablespoons of cheese and add another layer of prosciutto. Add the remaining ¼ cup cheese and top with the second piece of bread (buttered side facing out).
- Heat a large non-stick pan or skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the sandwiches and cover with a lid. Cook for about 4 minutes until the underside is golden brown. Flip the sandwiches and chook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Remove your epic grilled cheese from the pan and serve immediately with tomato sauce for dipping.