Grilled Figs and Cheese
- Two slices sourdough bread (or your favorite bread…I imagine a darker multigrain would work well too)
- About 3 dried figs, sliced
- A spoonful of chopped walnuts
- A couple spoonfuls of ricotta
- 2-3 slices brie
- 2-3 thick slices fresh mozzarella
- Generous drizzlings of honey
- A sprinkle of truffle salt
- Heat a panini press or grill pan.
- On one slice of bread smear the ricotta thickly. Top with fig slices and walnuts. Top that with the brie, then the mozzarella. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with truffle salt. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Place sandwich on the press or grill and press down. Grill, pressing down, until grill marks appear, bread is toasted, and the cheeses have melted and melded into a beautiful mess.
I have stuck to relatively mild cheeses here because I wanted something very creamy, and I wanted to use the truffle salt (which would be impossible with sharper, saltier cheeses). You can certainly use other cheeses, and I am looking forward to experimenting in that direction as well. Just remember to nix the truffle salt if you are using stronger cheeses. Another, delicious, way to go at it would be to use truffle honey instead of the honey + truffle salt.