Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices fresh bread (I recommend sourdough or rustic white bread)
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into rounds or grated*
- 4 - 6 Roma tomato slices
- 1 Tbsp chopped, fresh basil ribbons
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil or 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 clove of garlic, for rubbing bread
- Layer Mozzarella rounds in an even layer over one slice of bread followed by an even layer of sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle basil ribbons over top and season with ground black pepper to taste, then cover with remaining slice of bread. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick skillet, heat over medium-low heat and tilt back and forth to evenly coat (heat the oil long enough for it to glide easily across the pan but don't heat it to smoking point before adding sandwich or it the bread will toast before the cheese has a chance to melt. If using butter, spread 1/2 tbsp butter on both top and bottom of sandwich and heat skillet over medium heat), add sandwich, cover with lid and cook until sandwich is golden brown on bottom, about 2 minutes. Then lift sandwich out of skillet and drizzle remaining 1 tsp olive oil into skillet, tilt pan back and forth to evenly coat. Carefully flip sandwich to opposite side then return to skillet, cover with lid and continue to cook until bottom side is golden brown and cheese is melted through. Remove from skillet and lightly brush garlic clove along toasted sides of bread. Serve immediately.
- *When I don't have fresh mozzarella on hand I will sometimes use low-moisture part-skim Mozzarella which is also delicious.