Savory Parmesan French Toast with Hollandaise Sauce
For the French toast:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed with the side of a knife
- dash salt
- medium-size loaf of good-quality bread, cut 1-inch thick
- butter, for frying
- flat-leaf parsley or chives, for garnish
For the hollandaise:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
For the French Toast:
- Turn your oven on to the warm setting (170 F). Set a cooling rack over a cookie sheet and place in the oven.
- Add eggs, milk, cream, Parmesan, mustard powder, hot sauce, black pepper, garlic, and salt to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour liquid into a pie plate or an 8x8 dish. Rinse out your blender immediately.
- Slice the bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat a griddle or a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture 1-2 minutes each side.
- Grease the griddle or pan with butter.
- Fry each piece of bread for about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes or until browned. Continue with all the bread pieces, replenishing butter as necessary.
- Place each finished piece of toast on the cooling rack in the oven.
For the hollandaise:
- In the rinsed-out blender, add the egg yolks, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Blend until smooth. (It's not very much liquid, so I tipped the blender on it's side to help it blend up. See photos.)
- In a small bowl in the microwave, melt butter completely so that it's very hot.
- Open the top spout of your blender. Turn the blender on low and pour in the hot butter. It should thicken immediately.
- Immediately pour the sauce into a measuring cup or bowl. Place the bowl into another bowl of very hot water. (You want to keep the sauce hot, but if you microwave it, it will curdle.)
- Pour the sauce over each serving. Whisk the sauce if it starts to separate.
- Top each French toast with fresh herbs and extra Parmesan.