Blueberry French Toast Casserole
A super easy recipe for perfectly baked French Toast. This recipe is a family favorite and will be sure to please everyone around your breakfast table.
For the Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- 1 1/2 loaves French Bread, cut into cubes
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the Blueberry Syrup
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1. Spray an 8-x-8 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- 2. Spread half of the French Bread cubes in an even layer over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- 3. Mix together cream cheese, milk, and powdered sugar until well combined. Mixture should be somewhat thick and not watery. Add more powdered sugar if mixture seems too thin. Pour over bread cubes and sprinkle with blueberries.
- 4. Add remaining bread cubes over the top.
- 5. Combine 1 cup milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and syrup. Pour mixture over bread cubes and sprinkle with additional blueberries. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 6. Remove casserole from fridge 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until the center is set.
- 7. During the last 10 minutes of baking time, prepare the blueberry syrup. In a small saucepan, combine cold water, corn starch and sugar. Heat mixture and bring to a simmer. Add blueberries and continue simmering for 10 minutes. Serve casserole with warm syrup immediately.
- Syrup can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until needed. Simply reheat in a microwave until warm.
- Casserole is best enjoyed served immediately, but can be stored in the fridge for 2 days.
- You can substitute frozen berries. Also, you can use any type of berry you prefer.
Adapted from allrecipes