Cranberry Orange Baked French Toast Casserole
1 hour 5 mins
This Cranberry Orange Baked French Toast Casserole is an overnight breakfast casserole that is filled with cranberry and orange flavors.
Serves: 6 servings
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, divided
- 1 (1 lb) loaf white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon orange extract, optional
- powdered sugar, for serving
- Pour the melted butter evenly into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top. Sprinkle ½ cup of the cranberries over the top of the brown sugar. Add the cubed bread to the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cranberries over the top.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, orange zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and orange extract (if using), and beat lightly to combine. Pour the mixture evenly over the top of the bread in the baking dish. Press the bread down into the liquid mixture if needed to make sure all of the bread is soaked. Cover the dish with foil and refrigerate overnight, at least 8 hours.
- Bring the dish out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Bake the casserole, still covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top is browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean another 15-20 minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve topped with powdered sugar.
*total time does not include overnight refrigeration time.