CREME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 loaf 2 day-old French bread, cut into 1” slices
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar, stirring occasionally until smooth. Pour melted mixture into a lightly greased jelly roll pan (18"x13"x1″), and spread out evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer to cover the pan (as many as will fit).
- Add eggs to a medium bowl and beat for 1 minute, then whisk in heavy cream, maple syrup, vanilla, orange extract and salt. Spoon mixture evenly over each piece of bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, lightly sprinkle the tops of the bread with cinnamon. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees (175 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden then flip all the slices of bread over and broil until the tops are golden.
- Top with berries, whipped cream, etc.
Adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff