- 3 hot Italian sausages
- ¼-1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- ¼-1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- ¼-1/2 small white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2-4 ounces coarsely grated gouda
- 2-4 ounces coarsely grated chipotle cheddar [I used Cabot]
- a few slices of your favorite melty deli cheese [American, Muenster, Gruyere etc...]
- 4 slices of your favorite bread [rye for me!]
- 1-2 TBSP butter
- parsley, to taste
- First grab your sausage.
- Once you stop snickering, cook them any way you choose! I typically boil them for several minutes so they're cooked enough to slice, then saute the slices along with my peppers and onion. All the flavors mingle and some serious magic happens in that pan!
- Grate your cheeses and season with a few sprinkles of parsley, if desired.
- Next heat a pan with half the butter on medium-high heat, add your bread and a small pile of grated cheese and top with a slice of deli cheese. Since melted cheese does a stand-up job of holding together a sandwich, I add cheese to the bread, then pile on the sausage, peppers and onion, then top it with even more grated and sliced cheese. Just pack it all in. You'll thank me later when you're face-first in ooey gooey amazingness.
- Use a spatula to flip the grilled cheese, adding the rest of the butter to the pan to coat the virgin bread. I've also seen friends simply heavily butter both slices of bread before proceeding and it works just as well. Whatever your method of choice, just go with it!
Makes 2 large sandwiches or 4 halves; serve with soup, salad, or straight up! I had a little extra peppers and onion left over that I saved for a veggie-filled omelet the next morning.
option: skip the sausage; add mushrooms. YUM!