Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This recipe requires 1 cup of shredded chicken. You can use any type for pre-cooked shredded chicken you may have on hand or you can use my quick and easy recipe for making shredded chicken.
- 1 cup cooked chicken (recipe below)
- 10-12 slices of Emmi Le Gruyere
- ½ onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter (divided)
- 4 slices of bread
- Shredded chicken
- 1 medium boneless chicken cutlet
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chipotle Sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp. sauce (canned)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried dill
- Kosher salt, to taste
- To make the chipotle sauce: place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth about 2-3 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a small pan to medium heat. Add the butter and onions, allow to gently cook for 15 minutes or until caramelized.
- For the shredded chicken:
- Heat a small heavy duty pan to medium/high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil, chicken cutlet and salt+pepper. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden in color. After both sides are golden add ¼ cup water. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove into a bowl and allow to cool. When cooled shred using 2 forks or with your fingers.
- To assemble
- Place an even layer of cheese on 2 slices of bread. Top with shredded chicken and onions. Drizzle a layer or chipotle sauce (2 teaspoons), then top with more cheese. Top sandwich with the other slice of bread. [br
- Heat griddle or pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter, place sandwich on griddle and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is golden and crispy. Serve warm!