Roasted Tomatoes and Cheesy Eggplant
Author: Adam Dolge
Recipe type: Entree
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
This roasted tomatoes and cheesy eggplant is like Eggplant Parmesan without the fried guilt.
- 12-18 Roma tomatoes
- 1 Eggplant
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice from half a lemon
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degree. Clean the tomatoes and eggplant and dry.
- Dice the garlic and add to olive oil. Set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Before proceeding to cut the eggplant, test to see if the skin is thick. If so, peel the eggplant before slicing. Cut eggplant into rounds, about ¼-1/2 inch thick. Add cut tomatoes and eggplant to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. If you don't have a wire rack, just use the baking sheet.
- Add lemon juice to the cut eggplant and brush on the garlic and oil to both eggplant and tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook tomatoes and eggplant in the hot oven for 20 minutes. Remove and top eggplant evenly with both cheeses. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese is toasted and bubbly. Serve warm and garnish with basil.
Feel free to cook tomatoes a little longer by adding to the oven while you prep the eggplant.