Caprese tart with roasted tomatoes
Recipe type: Tart, Pastry, Lunch,
for the roasted tomatoes
- 10 tomatoes, sliced into 1cm slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt flakes
- pinch of sugar
- black pepper
for the tart
- 1 roll, ready-made puff pastry, defrosted
- 200g buffalo mozzarella/fior di latte, sliced into ½ cm slices
- 1 egg, beaten
- fresh basil leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Place the sliced tomatoes on a non-stick baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the thyme, salt, sugar and salt and place in the oven.
- Allow to roast for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and are caramelising around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Turn the oven down to 180°c.
- To make the tart, roll the pastry out a little thinner and place on a baking paper-lined baking sheet. Score around the edges to make a border, ensuring you don't cut through the pastry.
- Place the tomatoes and mozzarella on the pastry, alternating between the two.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes and mozzarella and season with salt & pepper.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and top with the fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.