LOADED SPICY VEGGIE PIE
Author: Naive Cook Cooks
Crust with toasted cumin seeds
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- ¾ tsp salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, frozen, grated on grater
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- ¼ cup low fat yogurt
- 3 medium size potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed using hands or potato masher
- 1.5 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, chopped ~ ¾ cups
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 green chilies, chopped fine
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mango powder or lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash or use melted butter
- Crust with Cumin Seeds :For toasting cumin seeds, place cumin seeds on a pan and toast on medium heat for around 3-5 mins with occasional stirring.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.Grate frozen butter and work with hands until mixture resembles small oat sized pieces. Make a well in center and add milk and yogurt. Mix it using a spoon. On a well floured surface, transfer the dough from the bowl and using hands bring it all together and knead only until it all comes together. DO NOT KNEAD TOO MUCH.. Transfer the ball of dough in a plastic wrap and chill.
- Meanwhile, get the veggies ready.
- Filling : In a pot, add oil. Once hot, add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add green chilies, onion and bell pepper and saute for around 10-12 minutes on low-med flame until softened. In another pot, add cauliflower, carrot, peas and fill it up water. Boil the vegetables for around 10 minutes. Drain and transfer the vegetables to the pot with cooked onions and bell peppers. Saute them all together for another 10 minutes. Add mashed potato, ginger, salt, turmeric powder and mango powder. Mix and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Keep aside.
- Now take out the dough. Unwrap and place it on a well floured surface. Divide it into two. Roll out the first ball into a rectangle . You can trim the edges for uniformity. Move the rectangle into a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place the filling in the center leaving a border all around. Roll the other ball in similar fashion. Place it on top of the filling layered rectangle and seal the sides with hand or a fork. Make slits using a knife.
- Using a brush, coat the top with egg wash.
- Bake the pie for 20-25 minutes in a 425F pre-heated oven.
- For making them into indivisual HAND PIES: Roll out your dough on a well floured surface and using a big circle cookie cutter or if you don't have that big of a size, do like I did. I used cap of one of my big plastic jars. You should end up with almost 6 large around 4" diameter circle. Spoon filling on right half of the circle leaving the edges and seal the edges by bringing the left half on top of the right half. I used my hand to put pressure to seal the edges but you can also use a fork if you wish.
- Using a brush, rub egg wash or melted butter on top of the pies and transfer them to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 mins or until golden!
- Serve at room temperature with cilantro-yogurt sauce.