Lemon & Poppy Seed French Toast
A sweet, simple take on traditional French Toast with lemon zest and poppy seeds.
Author: Sarah Coates
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 lemon
- 4 slices brioche (or other stale bread)
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- icing sugar, to taste
- butter, for frying.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, honey, poppy seeds and the zest of the lemon.
- Place the slices of brioche into a shallow dish and pour over the egg mixture. Leave to soak, turning occasionally.
- To make the raspberry sauce, place the raspberries, the juice of half the lemon, and a few teaspoons of icing sugar into a small saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Cook until the raspberries are warm and pulpy. Taste, and add more sugar if desired. Set aside.
- To cook the french toast, place a large frying pan over a medium low heat, and add a tablespoon or so of butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the pieces of soaked brioche, and cook slowly for about 2 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve warm with the raspberry sauce.