Honeyed Fig and Goat Cheese Muffins
- 1/2 cup diced figs plus 6 whole figs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) goat cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a muffin tin with papers.
- Mix together chopped figs and 1 tablespoon honey. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup honey, eggs, milk, and vanilla until well-blended.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed; make sure to not overmix.
- Gently fold in chopped figs and goat cheese crumbles. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Halve the whole figs and press one half into the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.