Grilled Korean BBQ Short Rib Dogs w/Sweet Peach Relish + Spicy Korean Slaw.
Grilled Korean BBQ Short Rib Dogs
5 pounds bone in short ribs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce + 3 tablespoons, divided
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup mirin (rice wine vinegar)
4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 /2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 tablespoons gojujang (Korean chile paste)
1/2 cup ketchup
4-6 of your favorite buns, warmed (I used whole wheat hoggie buns)
4-6 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
2-4 ounces queso fresco, cotija or feta cheese, crumbled
Spicy Korean Chile Slaw
3 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
1 cup carrot sticks
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine vinegar)
1-2 tablespoons gojujang (Korean chile paste)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Sweet Peach Relish
2 peaches, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded + chopped (optional)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced
- Add the ribs to a gallon size ziplock bag.
- In a large glass measuring cup or bowl combine the brown sugar, 1 cup soy sauce, water, mirin, green onions, garlic, ginger, toasted sesame oil and pepper. Pour the marinade over the ribs and seal the bag. Place the ribs in the fridge and marinate 4 hours or overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add the ribs and the marinade to a large roasting pan. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake the ribs for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the ribs are tender. While the ribs bake is when I like to make the slaw + relish (recipes below)
- Remove the ribs from the roasting pan and strain the remaining liquid through a fine mesh strainer and right into a sauce pot. To the pot add the gojujang and ketchup. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer over medium heat until the sauce has reduced by half and thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove the BBQ sauce from the heat.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Brush the ribs all over with the BBQ sauce and grill the ribs for about 7-8 minutes per side. Be careful when flipping as the ribs will be tender. Remove the ribs and allow to cool 5 minutes. Shred the meat with two forks. Stuff the meat inside the buns, top with swiss cheese, peach relish (below) and the Korean Slaw (below). Sprinkle with cotija cheese. EAT.
Korean Chili Slaw
- Add the cabbage, carrots, cilantro and green onions to a large bowl. In another small bowl whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, gojujang , oil and sesame seeds. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss well. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Add the chopped peaches, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice to a bowl and toss well. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.