Grilled Chicken Caprese Appetizer
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 13 mins
Total time: 18 mins
A savory little nosh for a healthy crowd. If you are strict paleo, leave off the cheese and still enjoy a very tasty appetizer.
- 6 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper for seasoning
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 (4 ounce) balls fresh organic mozzarella
- 12 basil leaves, sliced in ribbons
- Heat a cook top cast iron grill or skillet over medium high heat. A regular skillet works fine too.
- Cut each chicken thigh in half to make two equal squares.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brush the hot grill with olive oil and grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Remove to a foil lined jellyroll pan. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Top each grilled chicken piece with 1 tablespoon marinara sauce.
- Slice each mozzarella ball into 6 slices and top each piece of chicken.
- Place pan of chicken under a broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted- do not brown!
- Remove chicken to a serving tray and sprinkle with basil ribbons, a drizzle of olive oil, and more pepper. Spear each chicken appetizer with a toothpick if desired. Serve immediately. These are also fine at room temperature, so do not worry about keeping them warm during your party.