Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 42 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or thawed spinach
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz peeled, chopped shrimp
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup cooked scallops
- ¼ cup crabmeat
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeño chili (optional)
- 6 flour tortillas, 6 inches across
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 1 pint cheese dip, guacamole or sour cream, to serve
- Cook the shrimp in boiling water for a couple of minutes or until pink.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the red bell pepper and green onion.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Dice the shrimp and scallops and add to the pan with the onion.
- Stir in the spinach, jalapeño if using, parsley, cumin, salt, cayenne, and chili powder.
- Cook for 5 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cheese until it melts.
- Wrap the tortillas with a lightly moist cloth and microwave for a minute on high.
- Divide the seafood mixture between the tortillas and fold the ends up before rolling them tightly.
- Secure with toothpicks then arrange in a dish, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 4 hours or until required.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet to 375 degrees F.
- Deep-fry the frozen seafood rolls for 10 minutes each or until they are dark golden brown.
- Drain them on paper towels, then cut each across the middle, on the diagonal, and serve with cheese dip, guacamole, or sour cream.