Creamy Kabocha Truffle Pasta
Creamy Kobocha squash, caramelized onions and truffle oil blended until smooth makes the most amazing rich vegan sauce on top of gluten free pasta with sauteed mushrooms you have even tasted.
- pasta - 1 pound (I used gluten free)
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons (1tbsp for the onions and 1 tbsp for the mushrooms)
- onions - 1 small chopped
- garlic - 2 cloves minced
- mushrooms - 8 ounces sliced (I used button but shitaki or any mushrooms you like would work here)
- squash/pumpkin - 350 grams cooked and pureed squash (I used frozen roasted kabocha squash but roasted butternut or acorn squash would work good here)
- thyme - 1 teaspoon fresh (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- almond milk - 1/2 cup or as needed to thin the sauce a little bit
- salt and pepper - to taste
- truffle oil - 1 teaspoon and drizzle for garnish
Step 1: Place pasta in boiling salted water and cook until aldente. Drain and toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. (Save a little of the pasta water for later)
Step 1: While your pasta is cooking, in a small pan place a little olive oil and saute onions and garlic until caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute sliced mushrooms with a little olive oil and season with thyme, salt and pepper and cook until slightly golden. Set aside.
Step 3: If you are using frozen pureed cooked butternut squash, unthaw and place in the food processor. If using fresh squash (kabocha, butternut or acorn) cut in half, turn flat side down on a lined and greased baking tray. Add a couple spoons of water to the tray and bake at 190 degrees C (375 F) for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes until fork pieces easily in the squash.
Step 4: Add caramelised onions, garlic almond milk, thyme, truffle oil, salt and pepper along with the squash to the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
Step 5: In a large frying pan, add the pasta, delicious pureed kabocha squash mixture, sautéed mushrooms and about 1/4-1/2 cup of pasta water to loosen up sauce. Stir and mix well. Season to taste.
Step 6: Serve your Creamy kabocha truffle oil with a little additional ruffle oil on top and if your not going vegan add a little parmesan cheese on top would be delightful. Enjoy!