Baked Huevos Rancheros
makes 4 1-egg servings
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
What’s in it:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained*
2 teaspoon olive oil*
1 clove garlic, minced *
1/4 cup finely chopped onion*
Hot sauce to taste*
4 corn tortillas
4 large organic eggs
1/2 cup ranchero sauce or non-chunky salsa
optional: 1/4 cup low fat shredded mexican cheese
Garnishes: Cherry tomatoes, avocado, cilantro
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Make the black beans. Heat the olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant and softened. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the black beans and hot sauce, stir and cook for about 5 minutes, adding a little water if they seem dry.
*NOTE: you can skip this step and just buy a can of refried black beans or use the whole black beans without additional doctoring
3. Spray the bottom of a cast iron skillet or square glass baking dish with olive oil spray. Arrange 4 corn tortillas against eachother and the side of the pan so that the sides are raised, creating a little basket for each egg. Note: my 10 inch skillet only fit 3 of these which was the perfect amount for 2 people.
4. Add a scoop of black beans to the center of each. I used a spoon to create a space in the center of the beans for the egg to sit so it would stay in place. Crack one egg onto each tortilla.
5. Drizzle ranchero sauce or salsa on the top and sprinkle with cheese. Transfer to oven for about 10-15 minutes, until egg white is cooked but yolk is still soft.
6. Garnish with chopped cherry tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro and enjoy!