ZUCCHINI FETTUCCINE WITH ROSEMARY BUTTERNUT CREME SAUCE
1 hour 10 mins
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed (to release flavor)
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pounds zucchini, spiralized into fettuccine
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice butternut squash in half lengthwise. Grease a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and then lay butternut squash (cut side down) on sheet pan.
- Roast for 30 - 45 minutes, until squash is tender and flesh can easily be pierced with a fork. Once cooked, allow squash to cool, then scoop out the flesh (this should yield about 5 cups of flesh) and discard the skin. Add the flesh to a blender.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3 - 5 minutes, until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Next, add the sauteed garlic & onions, rosemary, coconut milk, broth, and salt to a blender with the butternut squash flesh. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to a large pan. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 2 minutes, until they are just starting to brown. Then add the zucchini fettuccine and cook for about 3 minutes, until zucchini is almost tender. Add the sauce to the pan and continue to cook until sauce is hot and zucchini is tender.
- Garnish with freshly-ground black pepper and serve hot.