- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chill again
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis, sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tsp roasted minced garlic, fresh garlic works as well
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (about 1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
- Start by making the pastry dough. Add the flour and salt to a large bowl and slightly whisk. Cut the butter in pieces and add to the bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives cut but butter in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add this to the butter-flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon or your fingers, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Pat the lumps into a ball; do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut zucchini into thin slices and place over paper towels, sprinkle some salt over the slices and let sit for 30 min so the paper towels soak up all the water.
- In the meantime, mix the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and the garlic together and add 1 teaspoon of the garlicky olive oil to the bowl with the cheeses and season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 12-14 inch round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the bottom of the galette dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Shingle the zucchini attractively on top of the ricotta starting at the outside edge. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of the garlic and olive oil mixture evenly over the zucchini. Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open. Brush crust with egg yolk.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen