- Prep Time 20 min
- Total Time 30 min
- Servings 4
- eggs, separated
- tablespoons sugar
- Grated peel of 2 lemons
- tablespoon vanilla
- tablespoons butter, melted
- cup milk
- cups Original Bisquick™ mix
- cup ricotta cheese
- 1 In a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until they start to bubble. Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of the sugar; continue beating until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- 2 In large bowl, beat egg yolks, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, the lemon peel and vanilla with whisk. Beat in melted butter and milk until smooth. Add Bisquick mix, and stir with rubber spatula until just combined (do not overmix). Fold whipped egg whites into batter until just combined. Gently fold ricotta cheese into batter. Batter will be lumpy.
- 3 Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons batter in skillet. Once little bubbles form, turn and continue to cook until pancake is evenly browned on each side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 4 Serve pancakes with your choice of fruit, powdered sugar and/or maple syrup.
Choose lemons that feel heavy for their size and are free of soft spots. Lemons with smooth, glossy rinds offer the most juice, while fruits with thick skin will more easily yield generous amounts of grated peel.
When your egg whites get fluffy, stop right away! If you overbeat them, they will liquefy again.
To freeze pancakes, place them on a waxed or cooking parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Cover and place in freezer 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, transfer pancakes to plastic freezer bag, and return to freezer. When ready to serve, remove from bag to microwavable plate, and microwave on defrost 2 to 3 minutes.