Grilled Vegetable and Rice Salad with Fish-Sauce Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Vegetable oil
- 12 okra pods
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise, centers scooped out
- 2 long red chiles (such as Holland or Anaheim), stemmed
- 1 small eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1' slices
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
DRESSING AND ASSEMBLY
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups (loosely packed) mixed fresh tender herbs (such as basil, cilantro, fennel fronds, marjoram, mint, and tarragon)
- 4 cups steamed jasmine rice
5 servings, 1 serving with 3/4 cup rice contains: Calories (kcal) 230 Fat (g) 3.5 Saturated Fat (g) 2.5 Cholesterol (mg) 0 Carbohydrates (g) 44 Dietary Fiber (g) 4 Total Sugars (g) 3 Protein (g) 6 Sodium (mg) 570
Preheat oven to 250 °. Spread out coconut (if using) on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring often, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool on pan.
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Brush grill grates with oil. Meanwhile, combine okra, corn, zucchini, chiles, eggplant, and salt in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Grill vegetables (use a grill basket if you have one), turning frequently, until crisp-tender and lightly charred, about 8 minutes. Place chiles in a medium bowl; cover tightly with plastic to let steam for easy peeling. Set chiles aside for dressing.
Cut corn kernels from cobs; place in a large bowl. Cut zucchini and eggplant into irregular 1" pieces; place in bowl with corn. Trim any tough tops from okra and cut okra in half lengthwise; add to bowl. Set aside.
DRESSING AND ASSEMBLY
Peel or scrape off charred skin from chiles and discard. Purée chiles (with seeds) and garlic in a food processor or mash with a mortar and pestle until a coarse paste forms. Add sugar and process or pound until dissolved. Stir in fish sauce and lime juice.
Drizzle dressing over warm vegetables; add herbs and toasted coconut (if using); toss well.
Scoop steamed rice onto a platter and top with salad.