Texas Potato Salad
- 2 lbs German Butterball or Yukon Gold Potatoes sliced into 1" cubes, skin on, 930g
- 3/4 Tbs + 1 3/4 tsp Sea Salt divided
- 2 Whole Eggs leave out for Vegan Option
- 1/3 C Red Wine Vinegar 70g
- 1 Tbs Cane Sugar
- 1 C Red Onion sliced thin into 1/2 moons, about 1/2 an onion, 86g
- 2 Fresh Jalapeños 1-sliced into rings, 1 minced (seeds included) with 1/2 the minced reserved for garnish., 24g
- 5 Tbs Yellow Mustard 78g
- 5 Tbs Mayonnaise 68g, I use Just Mayo
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/16 tsp Cayenne Pepper ground
- 1/2 C Celery thinly sliced, about 2 ribs, 52g
- 2 Tbs Finely Chopped Chives for garnish
For the Potatoes:
- In a large stock-pot, add potatoes and cover with cold water filling to 2 inches (5 cm) above potatoes. Add 3/4 Tbs sea salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for between 8-15 minutes. Butterball potatoes take about 8-9 minutes and Youkon Gold take between 12-15 minutes to cook. Simmer until just fork tender, but not mushy. Drain.
- Dump potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add 1 1/2 Tbs of pickling juice (see below - quick pickle). Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
For the Eggs:
- In a small sauce-pan, add the whole eggs and cover with 2 inches (5 cm) of water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and put lid on. Set aside and set timer for 12 minutes.
- Drain eggs, place in a small bowl, cover with cold water and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Peel eggs, dice and place in large bowl with potatoes.
To Quick Pickle:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and 1 tsp salt. Add onions and jalapenos (reserve 1/2 the minced for garnish). Marinate for 20 minutes stirring occasionally (the pickling juice will not cover the onion and jalapenos). Drain, reserving pickling juice*, and add pickled jalapenos and onions to the mixing bowl with the eggs and potatoes.
For the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise, ground pepper, 3/4 tsp sea salt, and 1/16th tsp cayenne. Pour over potatoes, pickled onions and jalapenos and eggs, reserving a few Tbs to taste.
- Add celery to potato salad. Use a silicon spatula to gently mix potato salad together, making sure to scrape bottom of the mixing bowl to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning adjustment, adding the reserved dressing if desired. For more kick, garnish with the remaining jalapenos. **Flavor development will improve as the salad chills in the fridge, and the spicy will increase in intensity! Keep this in mind when adjusting flavors or adding that last bit of jalapenos as a garnish! (We added it all).
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
*All but 1 1/2 Tbs of pickling juice will be leftover. The leftovers can be used to make a spicy vinaigrette if desired.
Store leftovers in a lidded container, in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Adapted from Cooks Country, American's Test Kitchen.