Sweet Potato Chicken Chili
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 x 15 oz can black beans, not drained
- 1 x 15 oz can pinto beans, not drained
- 2 x 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (or orange, or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- generous pinch salt and pepper
Optional for topping:
- nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- freshly grated cheese of choice
- Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork. Heat in microwave for 2 minutes. This is optional, but recommended for sweet potatoes to reach desired tenderness. Chop into 1" chunks.
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Layer sweet potatoes on top, followed by beans, tomatoes, veggies, garlic chipotle peppers and seasonings. Cook for 6 hours on low.
- Before serving, remove chicken breasts and use forks or tongs to shred. Chicken should pull apart very easily. Return chicken to crockpot and stir chili to combine, then serve. Leftovers may be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.