Sun-Dried Tomato and Olive Pesto Pizza with Salami + Roasted Red Peppers.
yields: ONE 12 INCHISH PIZZA
- preparation time: 15 MINUTES
- cook time: 25 MINUTES
- total time: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES
- Pizza Dough
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) jar oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, oil reserved
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4-8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, sliced*
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- fresh sage, for topping
- crushed red pepper, for topping
- balsamic reduction, for drizzling (optional)*
In a large bowl, combine water, yeast and honey. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in the flour and olive oil stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, on a floured surface, form the dough into a ball and work the additional 1/2 cup flour into the dough if needed. All of the mixing and kneading can also be done in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Next, rub the same bowl with olive oil, then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
About 10 minutes before the dough is done rising, start assembling the pizza. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.*
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the sun-dried tomatoes + 2 tablespoons of the oil left in the jar, basil, garlic and parmesan. Puree until chunky smooth. Either stir in the sliced olives or puree them into the pesto. Season with pepper.
Once the pizza dough is ready, lightly flour a counter. Use your hands or a rolling pin to roll the dough out until you have a flattened disk. Place the pizza on a greased baking sheet and then use your hands to gently tug, pull and push the pizza dough into your desired shape. Spread the pesto over the dough, using as much or as little as you'd like. Add the mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. Evenly spread the roasted red peppers and salami over the cheese. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. Add a handful of sage leaves.
Bake the pizza for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is all melty and gooey. Remove from the oven and top with crushed red pepper and pine nuts. EAT while melty and delicious!