Squash Sage and Walnut Pasta Sauce
What You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4-6 crooked neck squash - trimmed, sliced
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 12 oz Heartland Hidden Vegetable thin spaghetti
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- fresh sage leaves - fried, optional
What To Do:
- Into a large saute pan add butter and heat over low heat. When melted, add squash, onions and cook for approximately 15 minutes. Season with salt/pepper.
- Transfer squash mixture to food processor (or blender) and puree.
- Place a large pot of water onto boil. Season generously with salt. When boiling add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water prior to draining. Drain. Set aside.
- Transfer squash mixture to sauce pan, place over low heat. Add milk, nutmeg. Stir until combined. Add cheese. Stir to combine. If sauce is too thick thin with more milk or reserved pasta water.
- Transfer pasta to serving dish. Add sauce. Toss to combine. Garnish with walnuts and optional fried sage leaves.