Sage and butternut squash are one of those perfect food combinations that are best revisited more than a few times each year. A very comforting pairing, sage and squash come into their own as the calendar moves swiftly into autumn and winter. The best way to convey their relationship in this recipe is to use a sage flavoured sausage. However, a little fresh sage incorporated into the smashed squash also works nicely.
Butternut Squash and Sage Sausage Sandwich
• 300g butternut squash, cubed
• 2-3 spring onions
• ½ tsp chilli flakes
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 good-quality sage pork sausages
• 2 slices of white farmhouse or sourdough bread
• Salt and pepper
1. Rub the cubes of squash with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven at 180C for 30 minutes until brown. Once cooked mash the squash together and mix in the remaining oil, chilli and spring onions – season well.
2. Meanwhile, fry your sausages until cooked through. Spoon the squash mixture onto your bread, sprinkle with pepper. Halve the sausage and place on top, along with a sage garnish.