Spinach and Artichoke Corn Fritters with Brie and Sweet Honey Jalapeno Cream.
1 1/4 cups sweet yellow corn, about 2 ears
4 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
6-8 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat of regular flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk (use coconut or almond milk for Vegan version)
4-8 ounces brie, chopped (I left my rind on the brie) - opt out of the brie for Vegan
1/3 cup canola oil (for cooking)
Sweet Honey Jalapeño Cream.
1 (15 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk, cold (may use heavy cream, but I personally love using coconut milk)
1-3 tablespoons honey
1-2 jalapenos, seeded if desired + chopped
Sweet Honey Jalapeño Cream
- Flip your cold can of coconut milk upside down and open it. There should be around 1/2 cup of coconut water at the top. Pour this into a container and save for another use. Scoop out the coconut cream and place in a bowl. Whip the cream for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft peaks form. Beat in the honey. Stir in the chopped jalapeños (I used 1 1/2 medium jalapeños). Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and 3/4 cup of the corn to a food processor. Pulse until blended together, then transfer mixture to a mixing bowl (if desired the blender step can be left out out. Just mix everything together in a mixing bowl).
- Stir in remaining corn and milk, mixing until a batter forms. Stir in the spinach and artichokes, then fold in the chopped brie. It should be the consistency of a very thick pancake batter.
- Add oil to a large skillet saucepan and heat over medium high heat.
- When the oil is hot add a little less than 1/4 cup of batter to the skillet and then quickly smooth the batter out to a circle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, flip and cook another 2 minutes or until browned and crisp all over. Remove and repeat with the remaining batter until all the batter has been used. Serve the fritters hot with the Sweet Honey Jalapeño Cream.