Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers
Classic Southwestern flavors make this rainbow of bell peppers a favorite, healthy dinner.
SERVES: 6 PEPPERS
- 1 pound lean ground beef, 90% lean
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 ribs celery, diced (about ¾ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large Select One tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 7-ounce can roasted green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1½ cups cooked long grain rice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped plus more for garnish
- 6 Select One rainbow bell peppers
- 1 cup spicy cheese such as Chipotle Gouda or Pepper Jack
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large fry pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until cooked almost through. Add the chopped onion, celery, and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced tomato, tomato paste, cumin, chile powder and kosher salt and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Stir in the black beans, green chiles, corn, cooked rice and chopped cilantro.
- Meanwhile, cut off the tops of the peppers and spoon out the ribs and seeds, then rinse. Lightly sprinkle the inside of the peppers with kosher salt and place in a microwave safe dish with ¼ cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Transfer to a 3 quart baking dish and fill the peppers with the hot meat and rice mixture. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is browned. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro. Serve hot.