SOUTHWESTERN QUINOA STUFFED PEPPERS
1 hour 00 min
Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers: Stuffed with a delicious and cheesy quinoa mixture, these peppers are flavorful and filling!
Serves: Serves 4 to 6
- butter for baking dish
- 4 bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned sweet corn
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon dried parsley (you can also use cilantro)
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups 4-Cheese Mexican Blend, divided
- plain yogurt or light sour cream, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a baking dish with butter; arrange halved bell peppers in baking dish and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine vegetable broth and quinoa and bring to a boil; lower to a simmer, cover, and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, gently fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 1 minute, or until translucent.
- Stir in sweet corn and beans; continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in grape tomatoes and cooked quinoa; season with chili powder, cayenne pepper, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup cheese; mix well and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until everything is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide mixture evenly between peppers, packing the quinoa mixture tightly into the hollow pepper shells.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each pepper with remaining cheese.
- Put back in the oven and continue to bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or light sour cream.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD