2kg Lamb neck (Cut through the fat of the bigger pieces to prevent them from curling during cooking)
2 large onions, halved then thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed2tsp ground coriander
2tsp ground cumin
2tsp garam masala/curry powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
500g Cherry tomatoes, halved / 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
750ml Chicken stock
1 large tin tomato puree (not paste)
3tbsn Apricot jam
3 Bay Leaves
Jasmine Rice to serve
- In a large casserole pot, brown the lamb in batches. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, fry the onions until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic and spices and fry for another minute before adding the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are softened and their juices have been released.
- Add the lamb back to the pot and stir to coat the lamb with the tomatoes and spices.
- Combine the stock, tomato puree and apricot jam and pour over the lamb. You need enought to just cover the lamb. Add the bay leaves.
- Reduce the heat, cover and allow to simmer gently for 2-2.5 hours until the lamb can be pulled from the bone.
- Check the seasoning and adjust, it needs to be pleasantly sweet. Serve with the cooked Jasmine Rice.