Skinny Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole Recipe
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- 12 oz. turkey breakfast sausage, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 16 oz. low-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a deep 9- by 13-inch inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- With a paper towel or kitchen towel, squeeze the excess moisture out of the shredded potato.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the shredded potatoes with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish, and press the potato evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
- Bake until the potatoes are golden brown on the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven heat down to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the turkey sausage in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until it is almost cooked through. Add the red bell pepper and green onions and cook until the bell pepper is tender, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, skim milk, cottage cheese, and Cheddar cheese. Stir in the turkey sausage mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potato crust. Bake until the egg is set, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve.
- Bake the potato crust as stated in the recipe. Let the crust cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Prepare the rest of the recipe as stated, but do not pour the filling into the crust. Cover and refrigerate the filling overnight.