Recipe type: Appetiser, Snack, Starter, Picnic Food,
- 4 extra-large free range eggs, boiled (I boiled mine for 5 minutes but cook yours for as long as you feel necessary)
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt & pepper
- 400g pork sausage meat (I used really good quality sausages from my butcher, studded with herbs and spices)
- 2 eggs, beaten with a splash of milk
- 1-2 cups breadcrumbs seasoned with salt
- oil for frying (I used canola oil)
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°c.
- Heat the oil to 170°c.
- Roll the boiled eggs in the seasoned flour.
- Divide the sausage meat in four and flatten into patties.
- Place the boiled egg in the centre and encase in the sausage meat.
- Roll the sausage-covered egg in the flour again.
- Cover in the beaten egg and finally roll them in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Fry in the oil for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. If the sausage meat isn't cooked throughout, place in the oil for another minute or two but make sure the breadcrumbs don't brown too much. You could at this point also place them into the hot pre-heated oven.
- When the scotch eggs are cooked, serve with fresh chillies/hot sauce and ice-cold beers.