Scallop corn chowder
Enjoy this rich, hearty scallop corn chowder brimming with potatoes, peppers, and spices.
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream
- 1/2 pound scallops jumbo sea (8)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter organic or Kerrygold
- 8 green onions thinly sliced, scallions, spring onions
- 1 shallot large, diced
- 1 potatoes russet or Yukon gold, or 2 small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 carrots large, or 2 small, scrubbed
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 bell peppers red or orange, about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- If using frozen scallops, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator in a covered bowl or the package. Reserve any liquid they give off.
- Prep all the vegetables and put into separate bowls. Thinly slice the green onions (white and green parts), and dice everything else. This will make your cooking go faster and can be done the night before if needed, except for the parsley. Put potatoes in water to cover until you need them.
- Blend half the corn with the heavy cream until smooth. Do not overblend. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Pat each scallop dry, then cut in half crosswise. If they have partially split in half, cut them that direction instead
- Dust each scallop with paprika and black pepper.
- Cook until golden brown, 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the drippings in the skillet and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Use scallop liquid to deglaze the pan if needed, otherwise add it to the chicken broth.
- Add drained potatoes and carrots to the skillet; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add broth, scallop juice, dill, and liquid smoke; bring to a boil. Cover partially and reduce heat to just under boiling. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add in the juice from the scallop plate, the remaining corn, and the peppers. Simmer on low for another 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add the scallops and cream-corn mixture and simmer gently to heat through. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- 289 calories
- 12 g fat
- 7 g saturated fat
- 3 g monounsaturated fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat
- 0 g trans fat
- 55 g cholesterol
- 155 mg sodium
- 1018 mg potassium
- 31 g carbohydrate
- 5 g fiber
- 5 g sugars
- 17 g protein
- 8 Weight Watchers Points Plus
This technically cannot be labeled low-sodium, as it's just a hare over 140 mg / serving. But at 155 mg / serving, and serving as a full meal, it works for my eating plan.