POTATO HAM CHOWDER
A warm and filling chowder that's incredibly creamy and rich, perfect for those chilly winter nights!
- 4 slices Jones Dairy Farm Sliced Bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (7-ounce) package Jones Dairy Ham Steak, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in corn and thyme until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Stir in ham, salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon, if desired.