ROAST BEEF AND SMOKED GOUDA GRILLED CHEESE
This roast beef smoked gouda grilled cheese is the perfect sandwich to go with a nice hot bowl of soup!
Author: Gina Matsoukas
Recipe type: Sandwich
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, coarsely chopped
- 2 slices of bread
- ¼ pound sliced roast beef
- 3-4 ounces smoked gouda, sliced
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the onions and sage.
- Toss to coat all the onions in the butter, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the onions saute slowly for 30 minutes, only stirring very occasionally. After 30 minutes they should be nice and caramelized.
- Use the remaining tablespoon of butter to spread on one side of each slice of bread.
- With the buttered side facing down, layer half the cheese slices on top of the bread.
- Next lay the roast beef on top of the cheese.
- Spoon some of the onions (you may have extra) on top of the roast beef.
- Top the onions with the remaining cheese and then the other slice of bread with the buttered side facing up.
- Transfer the sandwich to a skillet over medium heat.
- Press the sandwich down using a large spatula and hold pressure on it so that the cheese melts. After about 2 minutes, flip the sandwich over and repeat. The first side should be a nice golden brown. Alternatively, you could use a panini press for this if you have one.
- Once the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted, remove from the skillet, cut in half and serve up with your bowl of soup!