Pancetta Mac and Cheese Panini
Yields 6 servings
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Romano Cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound pancetta, thinly sliced
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until well combined. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, then gradually whisk in Cheddar, Asiago and Romano, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; add cheese sauce to pasta and stir.
Heat remaining butter in grill pan over medium-high heat. Place 2 slices pancetta on one side of sourdough bread, top with generous scoop of prepared macaroni and cheese and then top with another slice of bread to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining slices of bread and macaroni and cheese to make six sandwiches.
Place sandwich in pan and grill, flipping once, until bread is golden and filling is heated through, about 2-3 minutes per side.