Oven-baked Squash Chips
1 yellow squash
Other seasonings of choice (I used an Italian blend on this batch, but I feel like you could make some great new variations on the chips – cheesy squash chips? Chipotle rubbed squash chips? Garlic squash chips?)
1. Using either a mandolin or a knife, slice the squash as thin as you can. This is the hardest and most important step of making these chips so take your time. I cut them with a knife and although difficult, they turned out perfect.
2. Spray a cookie sheet (or two) liberally with cooking spray. Then line the squash slices up on the cookie sheets, ensuring that they don’t touch (they can be really close to each other, but not touching). Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
3. Sprinkle salt over the squash slices. BE CAREFUL during this step – the chips will shrink and you don’t want to bite into a squash chip that tastes like ocean water. At this point, sprinkle whatever else you want on the chips right now too.
4. Put the cookie sheets into the oven. Let the squash chips bake for 2-3 hours (check them at 2 hours and see how long they need from there). The longer you bake them the crunchier they will be. Patience pays off in this recipe!
5. Take the chips out of the oven and try not to shove them all in your mouth at once. In fact, to keep you preoccupied while you’re snackin’ on squash chips, here’s a little bit of reading to keep you busy.