2kg beef shin
2 onions, finely chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
3 fresh thyme stalks
3 tins chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
500ml beef stock
salt & pepper to taste
zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°c.
- In a large oven-proof pot/casserole, fry the meat in a bit of oil until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the onions, carrots and celery for 7-10 minutes until soft, translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic, the bay leaf and the thyme and fry for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, paprika. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the meat back to the pot and pour in the beef stock. Stir to coat the meat in the tomato and vegetables and cover the pot.
- Place in the oven and allow to cook for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily.
- To make the gremolata, combine all the ingredients and set aside until you’re ready to serve.
- Serve the Osso Buco with starch of your choice and a sprinkling of the gremolata.