- 2 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup all purpose flour or corn starch for gluten-free
- up to ½ cup olive or vegetable oil
- 8 ounces container of mushroom, sliced and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sweet Marsala wine
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup sherry or dry white wine
- Optional: 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Garnish with chopped parsley or oregano
- plit each chicken breast through the middle to make 2 pieces. Place plastic wrap over them and pound each one flat using a meat tenderizer/mallet until they are about a quarter inch thick. Season a good amount of salt and pepper on both sides of each piece. Place some flour on a plate and and dredge each piece of chicken in it.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and when the oil is hot fry each piece of chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown (this may require you to do this in 2 batches). Remove chicken and place them on your serving platter covering them with foil. carefully soak up any remaining oil with paper towels and discard.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add butter and mushrooms. Saute mushrooms for 4-5 minutes making sure to season them with salt and pepper lightly. Add marsala wine, sherry, cream, and chicken stock allowing the liquid to reduce slightly – approx. 3 minutes. Pour mushrooms and sauce over chicken and serve. Enjoy!
Chicken in a quick and tasty mushroom marsala sauce.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 small chicken breasts, pounded thin and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup marsala
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side and set aside.
- Add the butter and mushrooms and saute until browned on both sides, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the shallot and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and saute for half a minute.
- Add the marsala, deglaze the pan, add the chicken broth and lemon juice, bring to a boil and let simmer until reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix in the butter and return the chicken to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the parsley and remove from heat.