YIELD: 8 SERVINGS
This breakfast enchiladas recipe is all of the goodness of sausage and egg breakfast casserole, rolled up into enchiladas with a Mexican twist!
PREP: 25 MINS COOK: 20 MINS TOTAL: 45 MINS
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Old El Paso green enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 ounces (about 14 links) breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs, whisked
- 8 Old El Paso large flour tortillas
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced*
- 3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup thinly-sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Then spread ⅓ cup Green Enchilada Sauce evenly along the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage links (whole) and fry for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown. Transfer links to a separate plate, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the eggs and cook for about 5-7 minutes until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Transfer eggs to a separate plate, and remove pan from heat. Cut the sausage links into small bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside 1 cup of the shredded cheese, 1 avocado and 1/4 cup black beans for later use.
- Lay a flour tortilla out a workspace. Spread 2 tablespoons green enchilada sauce all over the surface of the tortilla. Then in a line down the center, layer a large spoonful each of the eggs, sausage, avocado, cheese and beans. (Portion each ingredient so that you use about ⅛ of the entire portion per enchilada, since there are 8 total.) Fold the tortilla over to seal it, then transfer the enchilada to the pan. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until all 8 enchiladas are in the pan. You may need to squish them together a bit to make room.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the remaining green enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas. Then sprinkle the reserved 1 cup shredded cheese evenly on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove, and sprinkle the enchiladas evenly with the reserved avocado, fresh cilantro, black beans and green onions, or whatever toppings you desire.