The BEST egg sandwich EVER. Served open-faced with turkey bacon, avocado + pepper jack cheese.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 1 slice of good multi-grain bread for toasting -- the thicker the better!
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 slice of high-quality pepper jack cheese
- few dashes of hot sauce (I use cholula brand)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, add avocado and sprinkle with salt and pepper, gently mash with a fork until it reaches a slightly chunky consistency. Add red pepper flakes if desired. Next toast bread to perfection, and spread smashed avocado over toast. Add the tomatoes and slice of cheese.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove and transfer to paper towel and pat dry. Keep heat and crack egg into skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until egg whites are set on the bottom yet yolk is still glossy, about 3 minutes or so. Add the bacon to the toast and top with the fried egg. The warm egg should melt the cheese a bit. Top with a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired. Either add on another slice of toast and eat it like a sandwich, or serve it open faced like I do and dig in with a fork and knife. Enjoy!